Friday 13 March 2015

The Nakeds

I recently acquired a foreign boyfriend. American. The out-doorsy Texan kind. An absolutely wonderful man- generous, kind, caring and ever so patient. Surprisingly also the sort of man that I can trust to accompany me into a Sephora, and know he won't complain too much about spending a week camping in there, comparing hand swatches and debating quality and prices with me. I'm not the only one girls, we all know the struggle...


Anyhoo, on his trip over to South Africa, he asked if he could bring anything over for me from the great land of the free. Naturally I put in an order to break the bank as we rarely have this sort of opportunity offered to us artists over here at the forgotten end of the planet.

Yes, my man went cosmetics shopping for me, *gasp* babysat my eye shadows for over 30 hours of flight time, and I can now claim to be the proud owner of not one, not two, but THREE Urban Decay Naked palettes straight from Sephora. My days of YouTube and Insta-envy are over. Well, for now.
Urban Decay Naked 1,2,3
Having never tried the brand or an original product, I wasn't sure how to decide between the 3. 
I did a TON of research on which was the most versatile palette. Now I can tell for myself, and I feel an obligation to let the world know that the Naked 2 is the one to get if one must make a choice. As a make-up artist in a country with the most diverse skin tones, cultures, tastes and textures in the world, I can see the value in this particular range of shades. I also love the very black shade in this one, it's a strong pigment. Tease is a good matte crease colour, and Snakebite pigment is superb- it shows up a lot darker than it looks in the palette.

Naked 2

You'll notice there's a colour missing in  my Naked 2. The little metal containers had not been stuck to the palette container properly and it fell out as I opened it. Ironically it's the only one that has broken, and the shade is called BUSTED. 

If you have the extra cash and have blue or green eyes, get the Naked 3. The shades in 3 will make those eyes POP like crazy. .
Naked 3
Naked 1 is super for natural girls who love a basic, easy to wear look. I especially love Darkhorse, Naked and Buck. Virgin is a great brow bone highlighter.

I love these palettes for bridal looks, everyday wear and evening wear. The lasting power of the pigments is not as good as some professional products I am used to, but I think they are definitely worth having in your personal make-up kit.

Below is a look I created with the Buck, Tease and black shades on Monica, one of my lovely brides, and then a look on myself using BUSTED which is of course no longer part of my collection. ;)




xoxo B xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment